Sunday, January 13, 2008

Starting at 20,961/90,000

Hell of a week in work this week, but I still managed to keep working on the book. Because I'm re-editing text I've already written to fit the new backstory and outline, speed varies quite considerably. Some scenes I can plow through with minor changes here and there. Others need considerable re-writing. And others, the new ones, just plain need writing.

Still, the plan is to be at the 30k benchmark by the end of the day. That's how much Lizzy says she needs to start submitting to editors, or how much she needs to know I need to finish the book before we do. It's the number we've been working to since August when this whole thing started, and I'm constantly amazed at how that 30k mark falls at a different point in the story, every time. On the other hand, it always falls at an important, life changing point for my hero and/or heroine, which helps.

So, the plan for the day is as follows:
Write
  1. Tidy house
  2. Write
  3. Clean bathroom
  4. Write
  5. Dusting
  6. Write
  7. Sort books in spare room
  8. Write
  9. Sort remaining Christmas presents in study
  10. Write
  11. Cook Lancashire hotpot for tea
  12. Take bath and get stuff ready for tomorrow's workshop in London
  13. Sleep

That's five sessions set aside for writing. So, that's 2000 words a session, give or take.

I'll post my progress here, if I remember, just to make me feel guilty if I'm falling short...

If I hit target, then tomorrow I can print out the text and start polishing! I'm giving myself this next week and weekend to make the 30k and the outline as good as I possibly can. Then it's being emailed over to Lizzy on Monday 21st. Which, coincidentally, is pay day. I think there may be a small treat reward from Body Shop for any me that gets all this done...

No comments: