Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Plan

So, I've taken a couple of days. I've read my agents comments on the manuscript, I've been over my own notes from our conversations, I've done some thinking and scribbling of notes and ideas and outlines.

And now I have a plan.

I know what the book needs; it's gotten bogged down in the magic and the logic and the whys and the hows. It needs to be lighter. It needs to float and glitter and have the magic in the air rather than the text.

I know what the big change is that will help me put this in place, and it's all about my main characters attitudes - one of those "if such and such didn't happen, or if she didn't know it had happened, she'd be an entirely different person" scenarios. It should work, without destroying the basic plot.

So now I just have to write it that way.

And I need to revise the text, then edit and polish, and get it back to Lizzy before I fly to Texas on March 13th. That way, she can be reading it while I'm off enjoying myself.

So, I have a schedule, the first part of which is:

rewrite the existing text, on screen, by Friday 22nd February.

That's nine days, all in. The counter's going back to zero, and we're counting in pages this time.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Bonnie Staring said...

So, did you meet your deadline?

KJ said...

Ish... hang on, I'd better post, hadn't I?

Give me a sec...