Monday, May 07, 2007

What I'm working on right now


After a few weeks off to mess around with some edits and some submissions and stuff, I'm finally getting back to working on the book I started writing for Michelle's Write On Redux.

I've already got just over 30k, and some reasonable background and character work.

More importantly, I just finished the collage that's been hanging, half done, over my desk for the last few months. I'm hoping that its completion will help spur me on to finish the book itself; certainly it's helped get my head back into the story. You probably can't make out much from the picture, except teapots and jampots, but obviously they're the most important features.... Not really. It's a story about fortune, fable and falling in love. But most of all, it’s about families; what we do for them, to them and because of them.

Recent submissions of my previous Write On Novel have started to get replies - so far all declines, but some very nice, personal ones, and requests to see whatever I write next, which I'm taking as a good sign. It's one of the reasons I want to get this finished, so I can send it out. I really love this story, and have high hopes for it. If it turns out on paper the way it is in my head...

I also have my soundtrack almost finalised. Just a few more tweaks when something jars - sadly I have to actually write the words to notice this. Which means it's time to get back to work!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Bonnie Staring said...

Nice to have you back Katy! I still haven't created a collage for my book and it's almost done. I'm sure that's what slowed me down, big time.

Still have my fingers and toes crossed for you on your submissions.

KJ said...

My husband was pointing out that, as pretty as it was, it wasn't actually writing... He's right of course, and I guess I probably make them more for the enjoyment than for any real assistance with the novel. On the other hand, it does help keep the threads and the themes and the characters and locations all straight in my head while I'm working, which is always a bonus!

Bonnie Staring said...

Keeping things straight while you're writing is a good thing. I'm suffering from an out of left field ending in my book right now. Which totally blows since it's not about baseball.

By the way Katy, I've tagged you for a fun meme. Check out my blog to find out whassup! :)