Friday, April 17, 2009

Second Drafts

In between the feeding and the changing and the almost napping, I have actually managed to get some work done, usually when Simon takes Holly out for a walk at the weekend. So, it's slow progress, but the very fact that I have limited time to work on the book means that when the opportunity presents itself, I make the most of it, and tend to focus very well.

I also spend a lot of my time thinking about the book, even when I can't actually be writing. The very restricted pace of my work does mean that everything is well thought out, and I have the chance to really consider all my options before committing to a course of action.

I managed to get a revised version of the opening scene over to Lizzy a few weeks ago, mostly to check that we both agreed that the tone and feel were right - and they were. So I've now reworked the first section of the book up to a natural break longhand, and just have to type it all up... It's about 20k, and every page has major changes and new sections, so it might take a little while. But Simon's promised to get me some time this weekend to work on it, so we'll see how far I get.

Once I've typed in these changes I want to spend some time going through the section and refining character and description; I know the plot's there, it's just the detail that needs fleshing out and detailing.

Second drafts are always uplifting in a way that first drafts sometimes aren't, for me - I can actually feel the work getting better, and it makes me very happy.

Although I'll be happier when it's on Lizzy's desk again, rather than mine...

No comments: