Thursday, February 15, 2007

Words and Curry



All is very busy at the moment. We've got a conference in London next week, running for three days, and generally being difficult. Still, somehow I managed to write 2,500 words today. I know!

I do get annoyed with myself sometimes. I mean, I know how I work. I know that if I write a little every day, then it's much easier to keep momentum, to keep going, and to go over my word goals more often. Conversely, I know that if I leave a story for more than a day, I lose any speed I've built up and tend to languish in 25-words-a-day hell. I know this. Hell, if you've read this blog more than once, you know this.

And yet, time and time again, I don't put the writing first and I lose days, weeks, sometimes months worth of words.

So I've spent a lot of this month pushing back slowly against the drag of the tide, and trying to get the words, any words, down. I finally pushed through today, I think.

The book I'm working on at the moment is another kids novel, about 40k, 10 chapters, fantastic fun. I set my goals very low - 500 words a day - partly because it's nice to exceed expectations, partly because it adds up nicely to finish just before my birthday (27. God.) and partly because I've got a lot on over the next month or two, including revising my Write-On novel.

Still, I have very good feelings about this book. And now I've ploughed through Chapter Two, exciting things are happening. Or will do, if only I remember to write every single day.

In other news, we booked train tickets up to Scotland in early March to visit some friends and their daughter (our Goddaughter). That's six or seven hours each way in which I can read, write and revise. I am very, very excited.

Anyway, off out for curry with friends for tea. Suppose I'd better go make myself look presentable...

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bonnie Staring said...

You're so right Katy! I stepped away from my WIP for only four days and I spent most of the day trying to figure out who my characters were all over again. Very annoying.

It's kind of like following an exercise plan, I guess. Not that I exercise though. LOL