Friday, September 15, 2006

New Start

As one door closes, yada yada.

As I may have mentioned, I'm starting a new job on Monday. They sent me a stack of forms to fill in (if I go missing, my fiance mayhave bumped me off for the life assurance) one of which was a New Starter form.

The more I thought about it, the more appropriate it seemed.

I've spent the last four and a half years organising conferences, all around the globe. I worked damn hard, for long hours, many weekends, and I was very good at my job.

But you can only do that for so long. So I don't any more.

The last month has been a limbo period. I've temped, written, decluttered, thought and slept a lot. But now it's time for my life to begin. A new life, with a new start.

Other signs that my world is starting over, whether I like it or not - I need to renew my passport, as it runs out on November 6th. So I need to renew it in a new name, with a new picture, and a signature from my vicar that I will be becoming this different person in a month and a bit.

I'm heading up to Wales this weekend (luckily, as that's where the vicar is) and my mother and I are going to visit the personal shopper at Debenhams - something we booked ages ago, and that coincidentally falls now, just when I need a new wardrobe, in order to be this new person.

But it's not all coincidence. I'm making some active changes too.

One reason (among many) for leaving my previous job was that I wanted more time to write.
And I know that my stories progress if I write on them everyday, however little. Bonnie reminded me of this, and we set ourselves a challenge.

We will write for half an hour, every day. No matter what.

How hard can that be?

New regime, people.

2 comments:

Bonnie Staring said...

When you're picking out new clothes Katy, think of what would look best for a photo on the back cover of your books. ;)

Have a great weekend, and be sure to get some writing done. (I'll do the same over here, I promise.)

KJ said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. We'll get there in the end.