Thursday, January 03, 2008

We apologise, but 2008 is experiencing a slight delay...

2008 doesn't start until Monday 7th January. I've decided.

There's not enough time otherwise. Normally I have all those days between Christmas and New Year to get myself ready, but this year I came down with a fever on Boxing Day and have just started taking antibiotics for the resultant chest infection yesterday. I've been too sick to think about 2008.

Add in the breakup of two close friends' five year relationship, just before Christmas, and the fact that one of them is (probably) moving in with us tonight until he finds somewhere new, and the New Year really does seem to have snuck up on me.

So I've postponed it.

It actually makes sense - because of the chest infection (which my husband swears is not consumption... but how does he know?!) I'm off work until Monday anyway. So, hopefully I'll be all nice and healthy to start my new year.


2007 was an excellent year in many, many ways. I sent my book out to my number one agent and actually got a phone call, a meeting, and many, many subsequent conversations. Admittedly, these were because of the huge changes the story required, but on December 21st, we finally agreed the basic outline for the book. I'm still doing some tidying as per her notes, but they were of the "Can they argue for longer here?" and "Sorry, what?" variety. The characters now spend more time fighting, and everything should make sense. I think we're there, finally.

We got a title, too - one that I love, that fits the story I'm telling now, and reflects the sort of things I want to write in the future, too. So that's good.

Of course, I still need to now rewrite the book in line with the new outline. Which is not inconsiderable work, but it should be fun. I just need to get back into my habits.

So, 2008 writing goals:
  1. Finish re-writing Breaking the Spell so that Lizzy can submit it
  2. Work up outlines and sample chapters for the next two books I have in mind
  3. Rewrite Black Cat Hollow
  4. Update this blog once a week (yes, really, Bonnie)
  5. Read one new fiction and one new non-fiction book every month

That's it. The reading goal may look small, but it's just that left to my own devices I tend to re-read stuff a lot. I want to make sure I'm hitting new stuff too. I love my library.

Right. I think I might be almost ready for Monday!

2 comments:

Bonnie Staring said...

Poor Katy! A chest cold and a houseguest? How come you get to have all the fun? ;)

A post once a week would be lovely, thank you. Very excited about your novel. Still waiting to hear back from two agents on partials sent to them late November...so I plan on being a wreck until mid-February.

Get better soon!

KJ said...

It's just not on, is it!

I've got my fingers crossed for you on the agent front... which is making it rather hard to type, actually.